Configuration Management – Do you see both sides?
Two different points of view on CMDB
1. A whitepaper by David A. Messineo (CA) on Myths of Configuration Management Data Base. He mentions the 7 key fundamental use cases for CMDB in this whitepaper, and talks about some myths around CMDB.
He also classifies the myths into various categories such as
- Conceptual Myths – growing around the manner in which CMDB has been described in the ITIL Books or similar material
- Process Myths – focused around the manner in which the CMDB supports ITIL processes or business processes in general
- Organization Myth – focused around the manner in which the CMDB, through the adoption of ITIL, will improve organization execution and organizational communication.
- Technology Myth – is the idea that a CMDB that is built or bought will just work as designed.
David then goes on to discuss in detail some myths around CMDB putting then into these categories.
A different point of view and comments can be read on IT Skeptic’s page here. He describes in detail some of the big challenges that he sees with CMDB the way ITIL describes it and implementation issues.
Most text from the Myths of CMDB whitepaper